http://www.silkyterrier-yorkshireterrier-info.com Cane Toad Poisoning & Tick Poisoning!!
Cane Toad Poisoning & Tick Poisoning!!
Cane Toad Poisoning!BUFO MARINUS SP
These toads are capable of producing a potent toxin in their large, warty, paired parotid glands. The glands are roughly oval in shape, situated behind the border of the tympanum, and extend backward over the shoulders. Numerous pinhole openings can be seen on the surface skin of these glands from which a thick, pasty, yellow-white toxin can be manually expressed. The threat of this potent toxin to animals mouthing the toads in Queensland (Australia) is very real. The lethargic hopping of the awkward toad will often attract dogs at dusk when other kinds of activities are minimal. These dogs will grasp the toad in their mouths, causing compression of the toad's parotid glands and expression of the toxin. Absorption of the toxin through the dog's mouth and stomach mucosa apparently is quite rapid, resulting in a variety of symptoms that may culminate in death.
The dog that mouths a toad will exhibit variable symptoms depending upon its age, concurrent disease, amount of toxin absorbed in relation to its total body weight, and length of time since exposure; the signs range from slight salivation to cyanosis (blue gums) and convulsive seizures, and heart attack. Obviously many other conditions could be confused with toad poisoning, and a history of having seen the dog mouth a toad will be sufficient evidence in a
sick animal to warrant initiation of immediate anti-toad-poisoning therapy. Don't wait to see if the dog improves it usually won't- it will progressively get worse.
(do not hesitate to contact your vet.)
Owners need to be aware that the best first aid measure they can do for their dog is to hold its mouth down and dry the mouth with a paper towel, than run the hose at a slow rate in the side of the mouth to wash out most of the toxin. This should be done for 5-10 minutes. In the meantime, someone else should phone the nearest vet to warn him/her of the incident. If caught early enough, most dogs will survive this poisoning.
But I am not a Cane Toad!
Tick Poisoning! By Ian Haddon
The tick season this year is still with us, and looks like going through until the end of summer at least.
The Paralysis Tick becomes a problem in rural areas during August, so care must be taken to ensure that your dogs are inspected daily - morning and evening. Regular dipping helps, but seems to be effective only about 4 to 5 days.
The most common areas where ticks will attach to your dog are the head, ears (inside and out), around the mouth and inside the lips, down the neck to the chest and under and around the front legs. Another spot that can be missed is the pads of their feet and between their toes.
All these spots seem to be favorite places for the tick to attach themselves.
It has been found that there are fewer traumas if you first kill the tick while it is still attached by applying kerosene or any of the tick rinses.
With a cotton bud, apply direct onto the tick, wait until the tick is dead and then remove by gripping the tick by the head with a pair of tweezers.
What to look for:
Ticks are not easily detected in their first stages of attachment, and can be on the dogs for 6 to 8 hours before they can be felt. Even at this stage they may only be half the size of a match-head, but they can still make the dog very ill and in some cases can kill.
The tick is dark blue in the early stages, and when it is full appears a blue-grey color.
Symptoms include the dog being unsteady on its feet, unusually drowsy, shaking its head, vomiting or coughing.
Once the tick is removed and any of the above symptoms persist, the dog must be attended by your vet immediately.
Don't wait to see if the dog improves, because it usually won’t - it will progressively get worse!
The serum injection can make a dog quite ill and can do so for up to 48 hours. The dog may take a week to fully recover. Do not give food or water to the affected dog as it may vomit and choke.
A couple of ice cubes in a bowl can be placed with the dogs for them to lick 12 hours after the serum is given. As treatment tends to make dogs thirsty and in bad cases intravenous fluids may be necessary, even oxygen.
The dog must be kept very quiet, away from noise and kept cool. Try a small amount of food 24 to 36 hours after treatment if the dog has responded, but check with your vet first! If you have a pregnant bitch that has come down with a tick, is likely that she will abort the puppies within a couple of days of receiving the serum. On the bright side, some dogs are immune to the tick and show very little ill-effects from their toxin.